ASUU GENERAL STRIKE: OUTCOME OF MEETING BETWEEN IMSU-ASUU AND THEIR MANAGEMENT (DIFFERENCES AND ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW)
THIS PUBLICATION HAS CONTENT FROM ASUU-IMSU MEETING WITH ALLIANCE PRESIDENTS, FACULTY PRESIDENTS AND OTHER COMRADES. SORRY IF YOU WANNA UNDERSTAND YOU NEED READ CAREFULLY TO END COS THIS DOESN’T NEED SUMMARY.
THEY SAID THE STRIKE IS CALLED BY ASUU AND IT’S ASUU THAT WILL CALL IT OFF NOT MANAGEMENT. ACCORDING TO ASUU GENERAL ON THEIR DEMANDS, CENTRAL FOCUS IS 2009 AGREEMENT WHICH IS SIGNED TO BE RENEGOTIATED AFTER EVERY 3 YEARS
1. Salary amount paid since 2009 is still paid to ASUU now when inflation, exchange rate etc have taken over values of money. It’s meant to be renegotiated but FG doesn’t want
2. Secondly they ask for revitalization of institutions whereby there are no quality educational equipment of structures to improve education system in Nigeria. The buildings in schools are from TETFUND and NEEDS ASSESSMENT which are from ASUU Struggles because of how they feel for students. ASUU wants government to do more to improve quality of education for students according to their chairman today
3. Earned allowances still owed which was initially agreed to be paid. According to them it’s a breach of contract.
ASUU IMSU Is proposing to go on a local strike after the national strike because the state government ignores their internal demands, etc.
According to them, (Government still owing IMSU Lectures billions of naira over earned academic allowances etc).
According to the ASUU SOUTH EAST CHAIRMAN, Government rushed to send promissory notes to ASUU that are not fulfilled and published they have settled ASUU, whereby they maintain IPPIS is a fraud and can’t be used to pay ASUU.
ON THE GENERAL LEVEL, THE COURT ORDERS ASUU TO GO BACK TO CLASSES and ASUU maintain they can’t go back to classes but must appeal for it which they have made appeal to court already, cos by law they have the right.
SOME ASK WHY IMSU ASUU IS STILL ON STRIKE?
- Government is looking forward to increase school fees for students which is against Universal Basic Education is what ASUU is also clamoring against.
According to them government wanna establish a system whereby students who can’t afford education can borrow and pay with interest when they graduate. This means once they are paying back it will be twice the money borrowed, ASUU said they won’t accept that for their students
According to ASUU, Government plan is to increase price of fees for Public universities that will be relatively close to private universities, to see it that Private universities (OWNED BY GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS) also have students to admit . These are also parts of what ASUU are against (according to them)
- A professor at the bar (a prof who have served for 10 years) earns 416,000 while a senator earns more than twice the amount for Newspaper allowance (according to ASUU)
It was agreed between ASUU and FG that their salaries from 2009 shall be reviewed and increased every 3 years but they have not met the demand. They earn same Salary from 2009 when economy has been influenced by exchange rate etc.
ASUU wants to end this whole thing at once so Government will stop the devaluation of education. Meanwhile some children of ASUU Lectures are in public schools and are at home too as confirmed by lecturers.
According to them, Government is tired of handling education which according to Nigerian constitution is placed on their shoulder to take charge of. As it is they want to increase students fees to be able to take care of universities and ASUU is also fighting against that.
- ON THE ASPECT OF IMO STATE UNIVERSITY, once IMSU Pulls out of ASUU then they have to live at the mercies of State government which can’t take charge of the affairs of universities, and which also wanted to increase school fees before to meet the needs of universities (which students protested against).
Student leaders also spoke their minds on the matter seeking for means to sort things out. As it is we all are aiming for a focus. Meanwhile, LAW FACULTY is on the focus for breaching the ASUU instructions
LECTURES ARE BEING PAID WHILE ON THE STRIKE
But IMSU lectures have planned to embark on strike after the general strike. This is because of previous salaries and allowances, and pensions etc owed ASUU which amount to billions. As it is it appears Government moved to pay Lectures during the strike to shy away from the salaries, allowances and pensions owed then before the strike (which made them wanna embark on local strike)
According to ASUU Chairman, if IMSU ASUU suspends the strike then government will not attend to the Demands.
NOW A MAIN FOCUS, WHEN TALKED ABOUT EXAMS AND REVISION FIXED ESPECIALLY (LAW FACULTY), ASUU EXPLAINED THAT IMSU VC IS FROM THE FACULTY AND ACTS UNDER INFLUENCE OF GOVERNMENT, BUT ONLY LAW CAN’T DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS. AS QUOTED IN THEIR VOICE “THEY WANT TO WRITE EXAM OR HAVE LECTURES, LET US WATCH AND SEE WHEN THEY WILL HAVE EXAMS”
They also maintained that blame should be on VC for asking students to return in this insecurities when they may not have school to attend.
THEY ALSO HAD A LARGE MEETING AMONG THEMSELVES WHICH RESULTED TO QUARRELS ESPECIALLY AGAINST (JUST FEW) LAW LECTURES.
STUDENT LEADERS SPOKE TO THEM ABOUT HOW STUDENTS ARE EXPLOITED ON TEXTBOOKS, AND EXAMS TIME INADEQUATE FOR STUDENTS ETC, THEY DIRECTED THAT ASUU IS A NICE BODY BUT THE FEW LECTURES WHO ARE FOUND UNDER THESE UGLY ACTS, AND ARE TO BE PUNISHED BY UNIVERSITY ARE THE ONES BOUGHT IN TO PERSUADE STUDENTS TO RESUME (ACCORDING TO ASUU)
AS IT IS, THE STUDENT LEADERS ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE WHOLE CONFUSION AND HAVE COME TOGETHER TO QUESTION BITTERLY BUT IT APPEARS THINGS ARE TOUGH. THE CASE OF ABSU IS DIFFERENT FROM IMSU